Saturday, September 4, 2010

What a friend we have in Jesus

Hymns from my childhood will often pop into my head. Without noticing the words, I'll repeat the melody in my head for hours - almost subconsciously. I realized today I was singing "What A Friend We Have In Jesus," and it made me wonder what having Jesus as a friend would be like. Not in a theoretical way but literally. What would Jesus be like if he were physically present right now and my friend?

Would he be the guy I don't want to hang out with because he's always steering the conversation to something serious? The guy who makes me feel judged or inadequate? Would I feel like I need to watch what I say and do and joke about and what I wear and hesitate before ordering a beer at a restaurant because this guy might be one of the friends who doesn't drink and he might think less of me or I might be making him "stumble" or he might say he doesn't mind, but he'd be judging me anyway?

Throughout all of scripture I don't think there is one instance of someone feeling judged when they interact with Jesus. Even the woman at the well, whose life is completely exposed by Jesus' words doesn't feel judged. Christ makes it's clear he is not cool (to say the least) with sin, but he came to redeem the world not to condemn it (John 3:17).

So Jesus would not be out to make me feel lousy. I realize this - and I've got plenty of sin to do that anyway. But when I think of Jesus in a positive light, he still seems to take the form of a counselor, a mentor, a caring older brother. And that's beautiful, but I limit him by thinking that every time we would hang out he would immediately go super deep and we'd have to talk about my issues or talk about cosmic life and death ethical matters.

What if most of the time we spent together we were just being. Living life together. Isn't that what you want in a true friend? Can Jesus be my Lord, my savior, my closest counselor, and also the guy I call up to help me move a couch? Somehow I've developed a false understanding of Jesus. One that says he is too busy and too important to help me move furniture or pick me up from the auto shop. Like using a diamond for a doorstop or paying your therapist by the hour to help you garden, it just seems irresponsible and petty to ask GOD to drive you to the airport or grab coffee with you.

But that's what he wants to do. He enjoys us because he is good, not because it's his job. Nobody wants a lover that's not a friend or a counselor that doesn't actually care about you. The warm embrace of Jesus the lover and the wisdom of Jesus the counselor are made immensely sweeter and more genuine because Jesus is also our friend. The only true, faithful, and unconditional friend.

3 comments:

  1. Topher, I knew when I first met you as the one leading us in worship at LEAP that I saw Jesus in you and your heart for Him and worshipping Him was real and genuine. It was attractive and renewed my hope for young people today. So, reading this blog just reinforced my first impression. You are so gifted and Jesus obviously has been hanging out with you. He is using you for His kingdom purposes and it shows. I just love what you wrote and how your mind was working....(see the ADD can really work for ya, can't it??) I just started an inductive study of the life of Jesus as told by Matthew and for the same reasons you mention. I really believe that the Spirit is showing me too that our concept of Him is most likely screwed up. So, I go to Scripture and ask that the Spirit will "sort it out" and give me fresh revelation. Thanks, friend! What a Friend we DO have in Jesus!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some interesting comments, Christopher. But I disagree on one point. You say:

    "Throughout all of Scripture I don't think there is one instance of someone feeling judged when they interact with Jesus."

    The Jewish leaders certainly did! The Lord's criticism of them was scathing (see Matt. 23:13-36). The difference with them is that they were self-righteous hypocrits who thought themselves to be spiritually superior to everyone. Christ condemned them for it, and they hated Him.

    However, the "sinners" despised by the scribes and Pharisees were eager to listen and learn, and Jesus welcomed them and freely associated with them (Lk. 15:1-2).

    And if you'll forgive a quick "commerical"...

    With the arrival of fall, we begin to think of the Christmas season up ahead. If you do not have a good book on the subject of our Christmas carols, I encourage you to take a look at mine, Discovering the Songs of Christmas. In it, I discuss the history and meaning of 63 carols and Christmas hymns. The book is available through Amazon. (Might make a great gift too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a great point, Robert. Even with His harsh criticism of the Jewish leaders though, Christ was fulfilling His mission to save as opposed to condemning (John 3:17) - His criticism no doubt intended to wake up and "save" the religious leaders from their prideful self-righteousness, or at least show them their need.

    So maybe it would be more appropriate to say, "...one instance of a needy sinner or outcast feeling judged."

    I'd like to point out as a side note that I in no way mean to encourage a casual overly-comfortable understanding of the Son of God. I'm not a fan of those "Jesus is my Homeboy" T-Shirts. =)

    The beautiful thing is, He is the most esteemed superior being (God), the sovereign creator, AND He would probably drive me to the airport if I needed a ride. That's pretty crazy.

    ReplyDelete